Making more pay in IT

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Lot of my friends go "Aye bruh, I make $100k+," and I just laugh like wtf cool.

1612156655051.png

So I have my Security+ and I won't mention my salary but I will say the certification has helped me "climb the ladder" career-wise. I am happily employed by an amazing unmentioned company. I plan to stick with my team for quite some time! The exciting challenge of scaling up swiftly while securing rapidly - fun fun (yes, double fun).

So let's just take a glance over at the OSCP (the OSCE is more in-depth and focused on exploit developing; expert).

Don't get me wrong, OSCP is still pretty damn hardcore of a feat. I would say if you want to become a CISO then perhaps go grab a CISSP as this gets through that HR firewall. That is a more traditional route. I am a little more explorative though, I like more adventure in life. My plan is to go from Security+ straight for the OSCP after I brush up on my networking via the Network+.

A+ > Network+ > Security+ > OSCP > OSWE

This is my desired path at least, this will end up with somewhere in the ballpark of a $150,000 salary. Goal is to get there by ~30, so about 3-4 years.

My lifelong passion has been web-related security. I know friends of mine that have taken the CISSP. It looked like they printed off a hundred pieces of paper with questions/answers then they would highlight stuff to memorize. The CISSP wants to train you to think the (ISC)2 way. Also, there are some hefty membership fees: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Membe...you-feel-about/m-p/18280/highlight/true#M3579

tl;dr go offensive in the field and specialize in an in-demand area, niche deeply but on the way you will have skilled and credentials to be a generalized personnel in the field.

Straightforward, never stop upping your creds and feel free to chase the OSCP hard for 3 months straight. It could be a real life-changer.