Mumble Sucks

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
This is why Mumble sucks: Mumble uses the QT Framework, just like TeamSpeak 3. There is a growing trend in the software development field --- people are cutting corners, they are being lazy with development, which oftentimes trades security for speed. It is much like driving a car at 1,000 MPH or driving at 100 MPH and having 1,000X the armor. Which sounds better to you? Want a slower vehicle that is reinforced, has stronger security or something that is EXTREMELY fast but might crash and kill you easily?

So Mumble pretty much sucks for the same reason that Skype, TeamSpeak 3 and various other QT Framework driven apps suck. As long as software vendors keep utilizing frameworks, they are compromising the security of their users. If there is an exploit found within the QT Framework, ALL of the applications which use QT are vulnerable. This makes it easier for hackers to infect people. Let's say that there is a BMP render heap overflow in TeamSpeak 3 --- assume that code can be executed. Now if I take the same method over to Mumble and Skype, that just makes for a larger target audience.

So, Mumble doesn't really suck --- most developers nowadays are utilizing frameworks which usually speeds up development, but it potentially increases the risk for security issues. :confused:

Xellos

Jun 24, 2015
Mumble is open source and has a superior audio quality and latency because of the Opus audio codec for example..

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Haha, no Bluscream. I honestly hate all software and all systems, they all suck. You just have to choose the ones that suck less, that is my opinion anyways ahahaha. :D

The main point I was trying to make in this thread is that the QT framework has made MANY MANY MANY software packages vulnerable to security issues that otherwise would not exist. When someone finds a security issue within a framework, their audience (for attack) is much greater, because they can then target all of the software whereas if there was just a security issue in TeamSpeak, it would not also have an impact in Mumble and Skype most likely (assuming they all did not use QT or the same framework). I hope that makes more sense. ;)